Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An Interview With Author, Kirstin Pulioff!

Where are you from?

Well, I was born and raised in Southern Californian, but moved to the Pacific Northwest to attend Oregon State University, and have lived in Oregon ever since.

Pulioff! That's an interesting surname. Where does it originate?

It sure is, and I owe it all to my husband! His family is from a small town in Northern Greece.

How long have you been writing?

I have been writing my whole life. From the time I was about seven, I really started to incorporate it into my life. Writing stories, transcribing shows, making up songs and plays, it has always been my way of expression.

You have children, correct? How many? How do you find the time to balance writing with your busy life? Advice to other writers about time management?

Yes, I have two kids, 5 &4. As for balance, I was hoping you could tell me! I am still figuring it out, day by day, tweet by tweet! I am 100% focused mommy during the day, and then after the bedtime stories, I put my author cap on. I realized early, that venturing into writing as a career would not happen overnight, and that some sacrifices and readjustments would need to be made. I just try to stay consistent, positive, and keep the momentum going.

For advice- as with anything, don’t give up.

Have you ever been to a writing conference, class, of critique group? How was that experience? 

I actually never have. I got my degree in Forest Management and didn’t really know much about the literary world before I started submitting my book. I had a friend who worked as an editor, and she helped me fine tune my book for submissions.

I love connecting with other authors on Facebook, twitter and Goodreads, and imagine that attending a conference or a regular critique group would be a lot of fun.

What genre do you prefer to write in?

I tend to write fantasy. I love this genre for the ability to suspend belief, the magic and mystery, the idea that good will always triumph over evil, and that Prince Charming is waiting around the corner.

What inspired you to write The Escape of Princess Madeline?

This is a long story, so I will give you the short answer. As an elementary youth, and advanced reader, I found myself reading books that were not the most appropriate for my age. So, when I began to write, I wrote a book to fill that gap- a fantasy adventure with aspects of magic, fantasy and romance appropriate for all ages.

How long did it take you to write the book?

 7 years
I wrote the first draft in about a month and a half during my lunch breaks at an office job. Then I put it down, not knowing what to do with it next. A few months later, I transferred it from my journal to the computer and made the first rounds of edits. After that, I had my kids, and stopped focusing on my writing. It wasn’t until 2 years ago that I re-focused on my dream and started to make it a reality. I picked it up, edited it, edited again, and again and then began submitting. It took six months before I got my contract and another six until publication.

What books have most influenced your life?

Ohhh…. Good question. That is hard to pick. The one that has most influenced my life is The Bible. If we are looking at the philosophy, the fantasy and the fun, then David Eddings, Belgaraid and Mallorean series hold a special place in my heart.

What book are you reading now?

I am a little embarrassed to say. I still have the Hunger Games waiting to be read.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Absolutely! I am so happy about the new authors I have found. Some of my new favorites are Michelle Browne, Trish Marie Dawson, Travis Luedke & Bobbie Shafer

What are your current projects?

Right now, I am working on the final touches on “The Battle for Princess Madeline.” Now that Princess Madeline has the future she has dreamed of, how far will she go to protect it?

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

Writing has always been my ‘thing.’ Some people are athletic, some like to draw, to sing, to bake, and I write.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

For me, the hardest part about writing is finding the time. When it comes to writing for me, it happens either in the evening or the weekends when I can escape for a couple of hours. So, it’s a matter of getting everything out of my head and onto the paper in a relatively short period of time.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Dr. Seuss. He has a way to balance the lesson with artful whimsy. Whether talking green eggs or saving trees, his words are captivating.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The hardest part was deciding what I wanted to do afterwards. It was one thing to write the book, but another process to get me ready for submitting it and opening myself to the new level or scrutiny and vulnerability. I am an introverted person, so taking this step was a big hurdle for me.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Each book holds new lessons, new challenges and new growths. For me, each book is discovering a new part of myself, uncovering a new truth, and taking new steps towards living my dreams. This book really showed me that at any age, it is important to take charge of your life and find a way to live it fully.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

My only advice is to always stay true to yourself, your muse, and your dreams.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

As always, I am so appreciative to my readers and fans. Writing is such a joy for me, and I am thrilled at every review, every rating, and every smiling reader.

If you could live anywhere, where would that be?

That is a toss up. I LOVE living in Oregon (minus the rain)… but I also loved my time as an exchange student in New Zealand, and Greece is absolutely magical. Maybe I can timeshare between all three.


If you could have any superpower, what would it be?



For more on Kirstin Pulioff, visit her at:





No comments:

Post a Comment