Thursday, February 28, 2013

Black Bird- Writing Prompt

A little black bird taps on your window. He has something very important to tell you... What does he say?

K.N. Lee

Tap. Tap.

I turn to the window and frown. "Is someone there?"

"Just me. Come closer..."

I lean forward in my chair to get a better look. All I see is a black bird peering at me with a little, beady, black eye.

No way, I think.

"Who are you?"

"Just a bird...with a secret to tell..."

My mind is telling me that this cannot be real but I smile at the bird and come to my feet. I walk over and open the window. A cool breeze sweeps in and droplets of rain splatter on my window pane.

This is a dream, I think. But why am I so cold?

The bird hops onto my hand and looks up at me.

"Come closer..."

I grin and move my face closer to the bird. I cannot wait to hear what he has to tell me. My friend, Calla, always says that dreams have a meaning. I will have to tell her about this when I wake up.

The bird brings its gray beak closer to my ear and clears its throat.

"The sun will not return. Yet the moon will burn. Gather your brother, father and mother. Escape to the mountain and you'll find a fountain. Drop in a key and then you'll find me. I will show you a place of beauty and wonder and you'll forget all about this world of plunder. Are you listening?"

I nod my head and look towards the sky. My face turns pale as I watch the moon go from white to orange to red.

My heart thumps. "Who are you? Am I dreaming?"

The bird cackles and I hold my breath in horror.

"No love..." He composes himself. "I am afraid, this is not a dream. You have one hour. Will you do as I say?"

I stand up straight and run my fingers through my hair.

"Why me? What will happen to everyone else?"

The bird flies up to my face.

"It is up to you...to save them..."


No comments:

Post a Comment