Thursday, February 21, 2013

Writing Tip # 2- Avoid the Use of Adverbs!

This past Tuesday I received my manuscript for, Rise of the Flame, back from my editor. I was thrilled and enjoyed all of the compliments about how ambitious it is and how remarkable it is (it still makes me beam with joy!) and the criticisms. One of the main criticisms was one that I already learned from Stephen King's writing book, On Writing.

Avoid the use of adverbs!

Yes, I knew this rule, and yet I couldn't help myself by adding words such as suddenly (cringe) or relentlessly, warily, lovingly...you get the point. Adverbs often tell when, where, why, or under what conditions something happens or happened and end with an 'ly.

Something my editor, Ann Wicker of www.EastOakMedia.com said stuck with me though. Everything happens suddenly. You almost never need to use an adverb. Your context will tell the ready everything. Like Stephen King says, "Trust your reader."

I agree. Now, I am going through my manuscript and slaying every adverb I can find!

Write on!

P.S. what does this picture have to do with anything? Nothing, really...I just like it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment