Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Meet D.K. Cassidy in an Interview & Author Feature!

Meet our guest, author D.K. Cassidy!



Where are you from?  
The beautiful and rainy Pacific Northwest.

What inspired you to write your first book?  
I’ve always wanted to be a writer, but when my children were young I didn’t have the energy! I have twin sons who I adore; they were my full-time job. Now that my boys are grown, it’s my time to pursue my dreams and use that English Literature degree that’s been lying around. My friend Arlene V., sent me an article about a new author who’d published his first book. He happened to be close to my age, which by the way I won’t be disclosing J My mind started to spin, I thought why don’t I do the same? What’s holding me back? Nothing! I began to write immediately. The start of my writing journey began due to synchronicity.

Do you write full-time or part-time? How do you balance your writing life with your family/work life?  
I am a part-time writer for now. It would be glorious to quit my job and write full-time, but this isn’t the moment. Yet J
As for balancing writing with my life, I’m still working on that.  I run, travel, knit, and of course read! Traveling is my favorite form of relaxation. I enjoy immersing myself in other cultures. Travel is a time I can let go of my life and reinvent myself.

How did you come up with the title?
The title is from one of my short stories. It seems appropriate given the situations most of my characters are working through. I intentionally used the British spelling of ‘spilt’ because I thought it looked better.

What authors have most influenced your life most? 
Haruki Murakami, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, John Updike, JRR Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, EJ Runyon, and Margaret Atwood. This list isn’t comprehensive but gives you an idea of the varieties of authors I enjoy reading.

What book are you reading now?  
I’m currently reading part two of a trilogy called, “The Man in the Wooden Hat”, by Jane Gardam.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Michael Bunker the author of “Pennsylvania”.

What are your current projects?
I’m working on a Science Fiction novel that I hope to have out at the end of this year. I’m also writing a novella called, “Donavan”, set in the world of “Pennsylvania” by Michael Bunker. He is writing Science Fiction with a twist, the main character is Amish. The author has graciously given permission for some writers to use his story and expand on it.

Who designed the covers?
My cover is from the Book Cover Machine. The designer is Stephanie Tkach.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? 
My enemy Time! There is never enough of it and when I’m writing I think about everything else I need to do.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Keep practicing your craft by writing as often as possible, silence your inner critic/editor, and read, read, read.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
My intention is not to neatly wrap up any of the stories in my book, instead I want to raise questions in the reader’s mind.
Also, if you like my book, please leave me a review on Amazon. Reviews are one of the best ways to support an author.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
 The French countryside. Beautiful landscape, good food, wine, lavender, I can’t think of a reason not to live there.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Flying would be the ultimate super power. I often dream of flying, wouldn’t it be amazing if I actually could soar in the sky? 


Biography

D.K. Cassidy has been scribbling stories since she was a child and loves to write in various genres including Magical Realism, Urban Gothic, Science Fiction, and Literary Fiction. She has a B.A. in English Literature from the University of Washington. 

D.K. Cassidy lives in the Pacific Northwest with her greatest fans: her husband Mark, twin sons Aidan and Jared, and three cats. When not writing, she loves to travel, run, knit, use the Oxford comma, and of course read! 

Please follow her: 

No comments:

Post a Comment