Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Ivory Tower- Review

The Ivory Tower: A Short Story
 Book Description

277 –the number sewn into Simone’s shirt. The number that dictates her life at the protection camp. Regulated by a system of ringing bells, fortified cars, and rations, the survivors are protected from residual contaminates on the other side of the wall. 

Breaking the monotony of the highly structured camp, Simone and her friend skip school to enjoy one of the last nice days of fall. An afternoon game leads them to a new part of the forest, uncovering more than they expected. All thoughts of protection and rules are shattered by the appearance of the ivory tower. A tower riddled with a history of danger and death. 

When her friend shows up with a bruised face and thinly veiled threats, Simone has to decide how much she is willing to risk to find out the truth of the tower.

Review: 4.5 Stars
Let's start with the criticism, shall we? The Ivory Tower is too short! I know what you're thinking...

(But it's a short story, you weirdo!) 

Yes! I know that! Just let me whine for a bit...because I want more! Give us more, Kirstin Pulioff!

Ok, I suppose that statement isn't so critical once you understand why I felt that way. The story was captivating and suspenseful. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time as I tried to figure out the secrets of the Ivory Tower with Simone. 

The imagery of the story pulls you in, clutches you, and doesn't let go. 

Simone is headstrong and curious and doesn't heed the warnings of her best friend as she tries to figure out why the Ivory Tower is off limits and so mysterious. In this dystopian world of orphans, forced factory work, rations, and surveillance by guards, one wonders what the leadership is hiding. 

Once I found out the secret, I was a bit disappointed? Why? Read it and find out. The twisty tale is sure to leave you breathless.


No comments:

Post a Comment