Friday, February 12, 2016

An Interview with Raz T. Slasher

Today we feature an interview with actor, Raz. T. Slasher!

Where are you from? 
Dayton,OH
What inspired you to write your first book?
It’s something that I spent a lot of time thinking about doing over the years. I’d written a lot of songs for the band I toured with on and off for seven years, wrote a lot of poems, short stories, and even a few scrpts. With my life finally starting to settle down I guess I thought it was time to tackle my dream.
Do you write full-time or part-time? How do you balance your writing life with your family/work life?  
At this point I’m writing full time. My career as an LMT ended after a series of accidents and I decided to make writing and acting my full time focus. It’s been difficult, but all things that are worth it in this life don’t come easy.
What book are you reading now?  
Right now I’m re-reading my favorite book of all time. Cabal  By: Clive Barker


Can you share a little of your current work with us?
The ruined face of The Mime seemed to almost grin at Matthew, pristine white glove waved at him. Shock set in on Matthew at that moment, his mind unable to even process what he was seeing. Whatever that thing was, it shouldn't exist, he thought to himself. It's skin was pale and cracked, it's face split in so many places that it couldn't be alive. Even it's eyes were clouded over, the pupils looking down right unnatural. He wanted to point it out to Mary, to scream for her to run. Something in him wouldn't allow it, and he felt absolutely helpless. Mary, seeing the look in Matthew's eyes gave pause. She'd never seen him act like this before and it frightened her.

“What's wrong baby? You're scaring me! Please, talk to........”
Mary would never find out what was wrong with Matthew. From behind her a gloved hand reached out and pressed over her mouth and nose so hard she wouldn't be able to breathe, let alone speak. The other glove casually moved down, and in an instant a nearly foot long knife slipped out of the black and white striped sleeve and into it's grasp. Matthew saw the gleam of the parking lot light shine off the metal just before it moved up against Mary's throat. Mary fought against the hold on her, her eyes going wide when she saw the blade. Try as she might, the creature had her. Every attempt glanced of it as if it were a solid wall. Her screamed were muffled behind that sinister white fabric.
It was then that Matthew's words came back to him.
“Oh FUCK! Mary, hold on baby! I'm here!”
Matthew tore into action, heading directly for Mary and the creature that held her. He had no idea what he would do when he reached it, but he had to do something. Everything seemed to slow down, as if time was beginning to freeze. Every step he took feeling like an eternity. He was only a few feet away when that intimidating blade ripped through Mary's throat with no resistance. Arterial blood pumped out so hard that a thick stream of blood shot forth and splattered across Matthew's face, bringing him to a halt. The now bloody white glove released Mary and her body crumpled to the ground at an unnatural angle. Her screams turning to so many gurgles as blood continued to ooze from that jagged wound.


How do you overcome writer’s block? 
When the writer’s block kicks in I revisit the films and novels that inspire me the most. They always remind me what I do what I do and inevitably spark some deep desire in me to write again.

What was the most fun part of writing your book? 
I think the most fun about writing the book was actually creating the script and filming the movie at the same time. I wanted to do something that no one had ever done in the horror genre before. The days and nights were long, and often I’d come home with The Mime makeup and blood caked all over me, but every second was well worth it.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
I think the hardest part of writing the book was likely overcoming my own insecurities as a writer. It’s one thing to write a small piece, but when you write a novel you bare your soul to the world. I put so much of myself into various characters that it ended up being more like therapy I guess. Sometimes it’s hard to face yourself in your weakest moments.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 
I think while writing this book I learned to trust myself. I spent a lot of time in the beginning worrying about how what I’d written would be received that I nearly forgot to enjoy myself. It became this all consuming thing to get my thoughts down on paper. I also learned that sometimes what you need most is a fresh pair of eyes. I can’t begin to tell you how important that is. It’s ok to ask for advice, in fact sometimes it’s the best course of action.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
My advice to other writers would be to never give up. You have to write for yourself first and foremost. Sure, selling copies of your work is an amazing feeling, but if you’re not happy with what you’ve written, then what was the point? Find the genre/genres that speak to you the most and share your voice with the world. Your passion will show in your work, and that’s what people will connect with more than anything.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Above all I hope people enjoy what I write. To me horror is a life style, no other genre teaches us as many important life lessons. With everything I write, I hope to give the readers a little more understanding of me as a person. I want to be that driving force that makes you check your backseat when you get into your car at night. I want to be the reason you’re afraid to investigate the noises in your home that wake you up in the dark. To me, there is no greater honor than that.
Do you have an agent or publisher? How did you go about finding one?
I don’t have an agent but I’ve been lucky enough to pick up an amazing manager, Michelle Keyser, and the best PA a guy could ever have, Christina Brumback. They work hard to keep me focused and writing, and let me tell you that’s not an easy job. Publisher wise, I was picked up by Meztrailov Fantasy Games. Matt and Rachel have really been a dream come true during this long and crazy process. I met them through a friend of mine that’s an author, Mariah Lynde,  and sent them a sample of my work. They signed me the second they finished reading it. I simply couldn’t do what I do without the best team of people I’ve ever met having my back.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?  
I actually love living in Ohio, it’s like the horror mecca. We’re known for more serial killers, bigfoot sightings, alien sightings, and many other things in the world. Hell more horror novels/films are based in Ohio than any other state! I just don’t think I’d be happy anywhere else. I would like to find a nice quiet little cabin in the woods though, I think that’s my biggest dream right now.

If you could have any super power, what would it be? 
Wow, that’s a tough one! I guess if I could have any superpower in the world it would be Wolverine’s healing capabilities. My favorite story lines of his make him essentially an immortal. Imagine the books I could write with that sort of time!

Read his entry in the Write Like a Wizard 2016 Writing Challenge!

Bio:
Raz T. Slasher is an upcoming independent horror actor and writer. When he's not killing people he co-hosts the Twisted Geekdom Podcast with his best friends. Raz enjoys spending time with his family and friends, worshiping The Great Cthulhu, hanging out with his cat Stoker, and talking about himself in the third person. His favorite quote about his writing is “It's like Lovecraft and Clive Barker had a love child and gave it up for adoption to be raised by Charles Manson.” Raz was born in Dayton,OH and he never plans to leave. He is currently banned from jumping out at people from dark rooms around the house.
Purchase Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment