Tuesday, February 2, 2016

An Interview with K. Webster

An Interview with K. Webster


Today I am so thrilled to have K. Webster on Write Like a Wizard! I am such a fan girl. Recently, I read "Dirty Ugly Toy," and it was incredible. I hope you enjoyed her entry in my writing challenge yesterday. Enjoy her interview, and look forward to my review of "Dirty Ugly Toy" tomorrow!

Where are you from?
Oklahoma
What inspired you to write your first book?
A little over two years ago, I went to a signing with Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, and Jamie McGuire.  Something about meeting them and learning more about them inspired me.  I went straight home and opened a Word document to write my first book.  The rest is history!
Do you write full-time or part-time? How do you balance your writing life with your family/work life?
I’m a full-time writer.  I attempt to keep my work hours during the day while my two kids are at school.  Not only can I focus better in the quiet house, but also, I can give them my undivided attention in the evenings.  It doesn’t always work out that perfectly but that’s what I strive for.
What book are you reading now?
I just finished a dark, suspenseful romantic trilogy called With Visions of Red by Trisha Wolfe and it was amazing! 

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Currently, I’m working on my darkest read to date.  I wrote without boundaries or rules.  This book is meant to disgust and frighten my readers.  It’s romance though so there’ll be a light at the end of the tunnel…eventually.  This is War, Baby is an intense, steamy, and psychological thriller of a romance! 

How do you overcome writer’s block?

Reading and watching movies ALWAYS drags the blanket covering my mind away and clears the way for me to write my stories.  Something about watching other people’s art helps me find my way back to my own.
What was the most fun part of writing your book?
The best part of writing for me is watching my general story idea take shape into something greater—something people can interpret, understand, and love.  I like seeing when readers are able to grasp tiny nuances I sneak into stories because I know I’ve done my job.  

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Not chasing other ideas before I finish what I’ve started.  Sometimes other characters speak louder in my head and it’s hard to shut them up so I don’t quit on something that I’d once started with the same fervor as the story currently begging for attention.  

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Always learning.  With each book, each review, each edit, I feel like I take all of that information and utilize it to help me make my stories stronger, richer, and more palatable.  

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Write first, worry later.  Write first, edit later.  Write first, promote later.  In a nutshell, get that darn story out of your head and the rest can wait.  If you’re constantly distracted by worries of whether or not the book is good enough, or agonizing over every single word you write, or are focused on making teasers or book covers when you’re not even halfway through your manuscript, then you’ll never get the best story out that you can.  Instead, focus on the book and then put everything else behind that.  Don’t get distracted by what you are first and foremost: a writer/storyteller.   

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for always taking a chance with me.  I tend to write wherever my mind takes me.  It’s taken me through hell and heaven and through shapeshifting humans.  It’s taken me through the Victorian era with naughty talking lords and countesses.  It’s taken me through the worlds of dark, dirty crazy alphas.  And it’s taken me into the minds of serial killers and villains.  I’m thankful that no matter where my stories carry me and through what genre, I have readers that follow me there.  That trust I’ll give them something worth reading.  

Do you have an agent or publisher? How did you go about finding one?

It’s all me.  I do all the work and it’ll probably always be that way for me.  I’m kind of a control freak when it comes to my own success.  Plus, I like keeping all the monies rather than just a portion.
If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
I’m trying to talk the hubs into moving to Florida.  A little sunshine and ocean water never hurt anyone!
If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Super focus.  I tend to get easily distracted by anything and everything.  If there was a switch I could flip that kept me on task, I’d gladly keep that switch flipped from 9-5 each day! 

Author Bio:
K Webster is the author of dozens of romance books in many different genres including contemporary romance, historical romance, paranormal romance, and erotic romance. When not spending time with her husband of twelve years and two adorable children, she's active on social media connecting with her readers.


Her other passions besides writing include reading and graphic design. K can always be found in front of her computer chasing her next idea and taking action. She looks forward to the day when she will see one of her titles on the big screen. 



You can easily find K Webster on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Goodreads! 


No comments:

Post a Comment