Thursday, July 11, 2013

Writing session prep!

How do you prepare for a writing session? I don't know about you, but I have a very specific ritual. Whenever I sit down and prepare for some serious writing, here is a list of what I do:
  • Relax- Writing for me is all about having fun. I know that in a moment I will be transported to another world...a world that I have created, where anything is possible. Whatever stress or worries I have quickly fade. After all, writing is therapy for the soul. Well, at least to me it is.
  • Turn up the music- When it comes to writing, Pandora is my best friend. As a fantasy writer with a heavy focus on action scenes, I particularly enjoy movie soundtracks such as Inception, The Dark Knight, Braveheart, etc. Also, Enya. I love her! Her unearthly, ethereal voice sends hordes of imaginative images to my eager brain.
  • Light a candle- Whenever I am writing a scene or chapter that takes place in a foreign land, I light incense. I really love the incense that they sell at World Market, and it actually helped me take my mind to another land when I wrote Lilae from Rise of the Flame's scenes in the exotic Nimvissian Empire! Even if you aren't writing a scene that takes place in a foreign land, something as simple as lighting a candle can work wonders on your imagination. There is something about scent that just works for me. 

This may be a short list, but give it a try. Simple things like this can make a huge impact on the quality of your writing session. Let me know if any of my tips work for you, or even better, share some of your own in the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment