Monday, June 2, 2014

An Interview with Author, Rasha Selim!



Introducing the author of Stolen Gifts, Rasha Selim!

Where are you from?

I was born in Cairo, Egypt. 

What inspired you to write your first book?

I’ve always written, and have a love for books.  This story has been in my head for so many years I felt like I was going to explode.  I wrote it and decided it was time for me to set aside my fears and put my work out there.

Do you write full-time or part-time? How do you balance your writing life with your family/work life?

I write part time, work part-time, a mother of three boys and volunteer.  It is definitely a juggle, but I get it all in.  I’m looking forward to the day where I spend more time on my writing though.  I carry my laptop everywhere and I steal moments in parking lots when I drop off or pick up kids.  I also get up an hour before anyone in my family to get some undisturbed writing time.

How did you come up with the title?

The book is about people who have Gifts, special abilities.  As I was writing the story, the name sort of came to me and it stuck.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

No not really.  It’s an easy read written for someone to enjoy during downtime. 
Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Some scenes are based on my personal experiences.  Like when my main character jumps of s tone pier into the ocean to impress a boy, she ends up breaking her arm.  I did that.  That goof was me.
What books have most influenced your life most?

Too many to mention.  I love to read Urban Fanatsy, because it really isn’t of this world.  I like my imagination to fly.
What book are you reading now?

Jenn Bennett’s Banishing the Dark
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Michele Wolfe.
What are your current projects?

I just finished writing the second book in the Gift series and working on editing it.  I have the third book plotted out and ready to be written, and a novella started.  I also have a werewolf series started in notes and the first book is plotted out.
Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

I have several friends who have been alongside me the whole way.  I’m lucky because they are all involved in the business in some way, so lots of sound advice.
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

No.  I love how it ended up and I’m proud of it.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Definitely the time issue.  I wish I had more time, but since I love the process of writing I don’t find the task too daunting.
Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I love Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs and my newly acquired favorite is Darynda Jones.
Who designed the covers?

Najla Qamber from Najla Qamber Designs
What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Character development.  I wanted to make sure that they truly are realistic and that they grow with each installment.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

That the first draft is rough.  Editing is a time consuming process but in the end it speaks for itself
Do you have any advice for other writers?

Stick with it and have a good editor in your arsenal.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I’m overwhelmed with the support I have received.  It’s humbling and I want to say thanks.
What do you think about e-publishing versus technical publishing?

I’m impartial to either.  Having a team that supports you is vital in either avenue.

Do you have an agent or publisher? How did you go about finding one?

No

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

By the ocean.  I grew up on the ocean and now I live in the mountains.  I miss the open water.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

I would choose invisibility.  Oh the stories I could hear if no one could see me.

http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Gifts-Gift-Rasha-Selim-ebook/dp/B00JCUS9C0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1401717209&sr=1-1&keywords=stolen+gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment