Thursday, April 24, 2014

Interview with author, Natasha Powell


http://www.amazon.com/Gentleman-Natasha-Powell-ebook/dp/B00JQC0FDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1398278844&sr=1-1&keywords=the+gentleman

Introducing the author of The Gentleman, Natasha Powell!


Where are you from?
The High seas Rgggh. Okay, Tampa, Florida. But that doesn’t sound as cool.
What inspired you to write The Gentleman?
It started as a short story I wanted to turn in when I was a teen, but the original idea replicated the twilight zone movie waaay too much, so I had to modify it and change it to where it is now.
Originally, I was going to write my Middle School book, Sonny Mendoza and the Cooty Monster but once I saw that I spent more time writing The Gentleman, I switched gears.
How did you come up with the title?
It sounded cool. Sorry, there wasn’t a deeper meaning behind it.
What books have most influenced your life most?
Fantasy: C.S. Lewis’ Screw Tape Letters and all things Tolkien.
Sci fi: Rudy Rucker (Wetware), Robert Jordon (Wheel of Time series), Kevin Anderson (Titan A.E.), Frank Herbert (Dune Series)
Horror: The Gunslinger by Steven King, Anything Edgar Allan Poe, and Clive Barker (Pen head anyone?)
What book are you reading now?
Not fair, I’m reading like eight. But now, Red Rising by Pierce Brown.
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
I’m getting into self-published and hybrid authors more now that I’ve taken that route and I can say that I am fans of Ksenia Anske (Siren Suicides), Chuck Wendig, John Horner Jacobs, Dara Beevas (has a great self publishing book out there), K.N. Lee, Jeff Menapace and so many others.
We are also fans of Ksenia Anske and K.N. Lee! Good choices. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
I would hang out less with my friends and do more writing. Since I also love sports, sometimes I find it hard to choose between the two. Sports usually wins.
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
I’m working on three novels right now. One is a compilation of short stories, which will include extended versions of the short stories from the Gentleman and 10 others.
Another one is not even sci/fi or fantasy because it’s a thriller/suspense. I know, I should only write in one genre.
And another one is a YA series that I plan to release later this year.
Not to mention, I have three screenplays I’ve written (If you call now), writing, or about to write.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Editing. Does that count?
Who designed the cover?

I did, and I learned a lot by doing so.
http://www.amazon.com/Gentleman-Natasha-Powell-ebook/dp/B00JQC0FDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1398278844&sr=1-1&keywords=the+gentleman

Good job on your cover, Natasha!

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Trying to find an editor that wouldn’t charge 3,000 dollars to edit my book.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I have to leave my house to get anything done because being home is a huge distraction.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Write. Write until you’re tired of writing then write until you cannot stand your computer. Because in the end, all that hard work will pay off.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed writing it. And if you find errors that need to be corrected, please don’t hesitate to send me an email. Oh, and feel free to contact me, especially if you enjoyed the book.
And now...more fun!

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
On a boat somewhere in the ocean.
If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Only one? Okay, the ability to do any martial arts.
What is your favorite anime?
Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Game?
Depends on the decade. As a kid it was Super Smash Bros 64 and as an adult the Call of Duty series is my fave.

Thanks for stopping by Write Like a Wizard. It was a pleasure meeting you!

No comments:

Post a Comment