Monday, February 17, 2014

Author Interview: Kyra Dune

I'm happy to introduce this week's guest, author Kyra Dune!
Where are you from?

I was born in Oklahoma, but I spent a big part of my life traveling with my family.

What inspired you to write your first book? What genre is it?

My first book was inspired by a song. It's a fantasy/adventure novel.

That's lovely! Tell us, do you write full-time or part-time? How do you balance your writing life with your family/work life?

I'm single and I write full time, so I really don't have much to juggle. I spend most of my time writing.

How did you come up with the title?

The titles of my books just sort of come to me most of the time. I don't usually have to think about it.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Before you decide to run, make sure there's really something to run from.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No.

What book are you reading now?

Tithe by Holly Black.

What are your current projects?

Right now I have five projects in the works. Firestorm is a fantasy/spy thriller and the second book in the Crossfire Duology. Higher Power and Oracle (book one and two in the Prophesy Of The Cataclysm Trilogy) are both epic fantasy. Chasing The Whirlwind is a YA urban fantasy and book two in the Dragon Within Series. And The Watchtower War is high fantasy and is the final book in the Time Of Shadows Series.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

This is a brief excerpt from my latest release, Shadow King (Time Of Shadows Book Three)

Dominus scoffed. “You really think you’re capable of calling a dragon?”

     Kaida’s smile faltered as she lay the book back on the table. “Let me show you what I’ve been working on and maybe you will too.”

     “I’m waiting.”

     She fixed her gaze on the book, her lips trembling ever so slightly as she read the spell. “Incendia extraho spirius mico veneficus lux antiquus serpens lucror adeo is quisnam dico vos efficio meus liceor.”

     The light in the lamp flickered as above the book a ball of flame slowly materialized. It grew brighter, writhing and turning in an unseen wind. Wings of flame unfurled, a barbed tail flicked, and then the dragon lifted its head and stared at Dominus with coal black eyes.

     Casson gasped. “Gods save us.” His voice sounded strangled. “A dragon.”

     “Isn’t it beautiful?” Kaida asked, completely ignoring her brother’s horrified expression. “The book calls this a dragon’s doppleganger and it says that if the spell is done right, it can call a real dragon.”

     At the moment, Dominus was much more interested in the dragon right in front of him, rather than one that might or might not currently be hiding out in the mountains. True, a real dragon would be of greater use, but he was not certain that Kaida was capable of handling such a beast yet.

     “Is this a true dragon?” he asked. “Or is it only for show?”

     “Ignis,” Kaida said, and the dragon threw back its head to let out a belt of fire toward the ceiling. Casson flinched.

     The heat from the fire was real enough, but could it burn? “Very nice show, but is it useful?”

     “There’s nothing flammable down here but the books,” Kaida said.

     Dominus looked toward Casson, who visibly paled beneath his gaze. “I can think of something we could try the fire out on.”

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

First drafts are always hardest for me. Taking a blank page and creating a world on it isn't easy.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

My best advice is don't ever let anybody tell you there's a right or wrong way to go about writing a novel. You find the method that works best for you and go with it.

Do you have an agent or publisher? How did you go about finding one?
No agent, but I have had books published with three separate small press publications. I found them by doing a lot of research online and talking to other writers. Recently, I've decided to branch out into self publishing. So, we'll see how that goes.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

Anywhere near an ocean and I'd be a happy girl.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Telekinesis. What would be cooler than being able to move things around with your mind?

For More on Kyra:


Author Bio



Kyra Dune was born in Oklahoma, but spent most of her life travelling with her family. She is the author of more than a dozen fantasy novels, including: Shadow of the Dragon, Elfblood, and Firebrand. As a child, her favorite stories were those that told of ordinary children being whisked away to magical lands. She has yet to find her own secret wardrobe or rabbit hole, but she hasn’t given up the search. You never know what might be waiting over the next rainbow.



Connect With Me: Facebook      Twitter    Blog    Website     Goodreads   Pinterest     

Watch My Book Trailers:   YouTube

Buy My Books: Amazon   Amazon UK   Barnes & Noble   


 



No comments:

Post a Comment