Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Novel Checklist!

So, I have decided to begin another novel. The Rise of the Flame trilogy has been sent to publishers and The Chronicles of Koa: Netherworld is ready to be released next month... I think it's time to explore a new world with fresh characters!

For a writer, one of the best things about writing is starting a new project. With this comes excitement, joy, and even a little fear. Sure, everything flows easily in the beginning, (well at least it does for me) but what happens when you hit the middle and get stuck with nowhere to turn? What happens when you run out of ideas, or the characters and plot becomes stale? With 5 novels written, I've been there...a lot!

So, I am going to try an experiment. I'm going to set a detailed plan for this new novel and keep you posted on the progress. I will chronicle every joy, triumph, and failure. Together, we will see if this writing plan will work. Either way, I am certain it will be a lot of fun, and a learning experience for both of us.

Join me on this grand adventure.

Step One:
-Character list
•I wrote out all of the main characters that I've thought of along with personality traits, physical appearance, and quirky details that make them stand out.

Step Two:
-Brief synopsis
•I might as well get this part over with. You do want to know what your story is about, although often your characters will surprise you along the way. Nonetheless, I wrote a simple paragraph about the beginning, middle, and end. This is a rough idea of what my story is about.

Step Three:
-Scene selection
•I decided to map out which scenes I want to have in this story before the outline. I did this to see if it would give me an idea of what the plot is. This way, I will have an idea of where the story is going and then I can put them in order.

Step Four:
-Outline
•It may seem too early, but sometimes having a rough plan can be helpful. Try to compile a step by step plan for your story. List is by chapters, or parts...whatever works for you. I start by using chapter headings with brief details about what each chapter will entail.




5 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the hair in the picture! I am so going to play your character when the movie is released with my blue hair!
    What you are doing is great. That is how I have been building my world Sanguis City by writing all of that in a big sketch pad. Also I have been talking to my husband and my friend about all the characters too and about other things about my book. It's great to have a sounding board for ideas. Looking forward to seeing your process. Although I do a rough outline sometimes, I never know where I will end up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you like it! It feels good to inspire other authors. I look forward to reading your book! You know I love the cover! I use outlines loosely, because every time, the characters will surprise me and take over!

      Delete
  2. Well, character profiling is always important. Another good thing to do would be to think over the kind of ending your novel shall have. And you'll be surprised to see yourself coming up with few to choose from. Choose the best one and you'll have a definite direction to the flow of your story. That's how I go about writing a novel. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! If I want to finish this book in 6 months, I will need lots of luck ;)

      Delete
  3. LOVE the hair!

    This is great advice, those synopsis though drive me crazy lol
    I feel like I'm more of a pantser than an outline person but since I'm almost done with my first novel and understand myself a bit better as a writer I think I can try out this outlining business for my next book. I used to love outlines in college and whatnot but when I sat down to write this novel I would stare into space unable to decide how to do move forward with an outline o.0

    ReplyDelete